Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2 (Day 53)

I can’t believe it has been a week since I posted! Now that I look back, I realize it is mostly because my Company Commander came in Sunday night, and stayed four days. He had a lot of work to do on the computer while he was here, so I did not have continuous access to my office. I fell way behind on my agenda, let me tell you. Of course, I could have done some blogging while at the USO, but I did not take my computer for a while, opting to read a book instead. So, I now have to catch you up on the events of my wild and exciting life. J
As far as work is concerned, post turkey-day brought (apparently) new changes. Mail flights did not make it out this way for several days, due to weather, so there is a backlog of mail sitting at Bahrain. That was supposedly going to be remedied by bringing in two flights a day, instead of the usual one. The result of that, of course, would be significantly more volume between convoys. Extrapolate from there, and I would end up with having to rely on flights to pick up the slack, and if you have been keeping up, that is not ideal. One flight each day (from Bahrain) has been cancelled, which can be good or bad, depending on the point of view. On the negative, there is still a lot of mail waiting for transport to Shindand, and we will eventually have to pay the piper. The plus side is I might be able to finagle a couple of containers to use for the holiday season before the mail flow is forced downstream. I hope to know later today if containers have been delegated for our use. I am crossing my fingers.
Found out the ID card section at FOB Stone, one of my subordinate APOs, is moving here, along with one of my Soldiers, and an airman. I am working on getting them lodging in my tent, which entails moving postal contractors to another tent, thereby dislodging more contractors (non-postals) to another location. Is your head spinning yet? The non-postal contractors should not be in their current tent anyways, since the tent is supposed to be designated for postal employees. More crossing of fingers.
We had a cold snap in the weather over the (extended) weekend. Moisture was in the air as well, so it was more miserable. Fortunately, it has warmed up, relatively, to the upper 50s or so. At least the sun is back, so the edge is taken off.
We have managed to remove some items off our yard. As I have mentioned, I am trying to do some rearranging, and clean-up is the first step. The 30K forklift sitting back there is my priority on that front. Once that is taken care of, there is a P.O. drop box that has to be disposed of properly, as well as some other larger items. I am thinking there is probably a similar process here, as when houses back in the states get rid of large items to the waste management people.
Well, one of my Soldiers has to use my computer, so I will close this post and pick it up later (hopefully) today.
J Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment