Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7 (Day 28)

The (work) storm of the last few days seems to have passed, and it is relatively calm. I was able to enjoy my day off yesterday. Worked a few hours at the USO, per my usual routine. Spent three hours instead of the usual two. The people who come in form a Cheers kind of theme, with the majority being the same people. It makes me wonder why the rest of those stationed here don't take advantage of the free offerings of computer and especially the phone. Curious, wouldn't you say? Anyways, afterwards it was off to lunch. It was quite the shock! It was all "mexican" food. That had never happened before. From what I heard, it was due to Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 - Oct. 15). That is great and all, but I think those of hispanic culture might have been disappointed in the efforts here. It was edible, as is the usual fare, but of course, hailing from San Antonio, I have been exposed to far greater food of this variety. It was especially disheartening for me. I love that food! Had a meeting with my new (contractor) site lead. He is retired military, so is no non-sense, and is definitely more hands-on. I like him. We discussed the major issues needing attention and ways to correct them. Also looked at the mid-term plan to get us through the holidays. We will surely do our best to get the mission done. We are supposedly moving to a different part of the compound next year, so I have started making plans for what I would like the new APO to look like and operate. Of course, the comms people gave me a short timeframe to get the info they need (this Wednesday), so I have to get them schematics quick! And me not being the Powerpoint guru. :'(  Before I left the office, one of my Soldiers pointed out my TV arrived. I thought surely not. I only ordered it on the 1st, and it had to have come in Saturday. But there it was. Got a small 24" to connect my computer to so I can watch movies on the larger screen. If we get the AFN dish for the tent, we will have TV as well. Today has been pretty even-keeled. Not a lot of phone calls etc..., so able to get a little more of my COR class done. Hope to finish it tomorrow. It is noticeable cooler today and overcast. Even got a few sprinkles. There is talk of more rain and even snow in the forecast, although I think the latter will be farther north in the mountains. I am sure it is only a matter of time before we get it here though. I am enjoying Jason Bourne Legacy, the book I am reading. Some things have been mentioned that shed light on how the movies made based on previous books have altered. Looks like I need to track down the older books and actually read them. They aren't typically in bookstores, so they may be hard to find. Also started playing LEGO Harry Potter on my DS. It is so fun! Watching the video segments between levels are hilarious. They put a quircky spin on the actual movies. It is after 1700 local, and most everyone is gone. Probably should head out myself, stop by the chowhall, then off to my quarters. Hope all who read my blog are enjoying my rants! Have to admit, this blogging is a good way to keep track of daily life here. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment