Saturday, November 12, 2011

November 13 (Day 34)

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, won't you be my neighbor! Ha! Who remembers that jingle? I am sitting at my volunteer station at the USO, 2/3 through my shift. I am working the phone bank as usual, but they are on the blink at the moment. People kept getting disconnected, so I shut them down. One person got so frustrated, I thought she might melt down. People tend to forget this is a privilege, not a right. We are deployed after all. Some locations don't have this much. I think the word has gotten around a bit, though, since there are fewer people stopping in than would be expected on a Sunday. Things are going pretty well at work. Got a call from my company commander Friday night. He wanted to get caught up on this whole moving situation. We spoke for a good 20 minutes or so. Fortunately, he didn't fault me for anything, since I assumed he would be in the loop. He figured those who are responsible for this agenda would notify the chains of command for those units being affected.  The gravity rollers I requested are supposed to be flown in today. I was told yesterday that the flight time would be determined by 1700 yesterday. However, I had no email traffic as of 1830. I will be going by the office when done here, to check my email. If it got out of KAF, then I need to coordinate picking the pallet up at the flightline. I am looking forward to implementing the rollers in our operations. My higher has also seen fit to request a scale. Currently, we use the same estimate weight for our pallets. I guess more accurate weights are wanted. I mentioned to KAF that a concrete platform needs to be constructed to set the scale on. I mean, it needs to be on solid ground, and level. We have gravel all over the place. I was told to have a wooden one made while waiting for coordination for concrete. Really!?!? Like we have decking material and the expertise to build one! Anything my guys could construct would not support it properly , and of course would likely warp. It is wood and it is outside exposed to the elements. Hope all of you (like four people, ha!) enjoyed the pics I posted. I know it does not do the environment justice, but it at least gives you a peek into life here. The post office is trying out being open a couple of hours on Sundays, see what the response is. Right now it is just a couple of hours, but regardless will not go more than 4 hours, no matter how much activity we might get. This is contractor-driven, so does not overly affect my personnel.  Some will have to be available in case there are finance issues, but otherwise Sunday's will remain a "day off." Well, my time here is almost up, so I will go for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment