Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3 (Day 85)

Well, it is 2012. The end of the world is upon us, at least according to the Mayans, and more importantly the based-on-a-true-story movie. So if you are inclined to, spend all your money, rack up the debt, party like a rock star, and have all the fun you want, because this is your last chance. I would join in if I weren't in the middle of the desert. What rotten timing! So, please think of me when you are joined in frivolity. I'd appreciate it. Now, back to reality...

I managed to get a loaner 4K forklift through this Friday. It has been nice to have operations run smoothly. Unfortunately, I have to give it back by Saturday. I am trying to line up another one to borrow for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can make that happen, and mine will be fixed by then. Of course, that is only important if we actually get mail in. Heard today that there is a fuel shortage, and DHL, our carrier, is on the chopping block for this resource. If we don’t find another source of liquid propellant, or get the powers that be to change their minds, our ops will come to a stop by the weekend.
My nose has been buried in charts and reports for the last couple of days, trying to get a handle on all these new requirements. I have made some headway. Of course, that means I hope they don’t notice that I didn’t get it all done! LOL Now my Commander wants me to start working my Officer Evaluation Report (OER) support form. I have to put down my duties and responsibilities, and major performance objectives. This will eventually segue into hyping me to megalomaniac status. I will be the best 1LT in the entire Army! Contrary to popular belief, I really do hate self-aggrandizement, and more importantly, I am really bad at it. Unfortunately, this is a pre-requisite for career advancement. I just think it is funny that everyone knows this goes on, the use of flowery language to exaggerate what you do. If someone is better at it, they get ahead.
I am finally managing to get myself into the gym on a regular basis. I am going at lunch, exercise for about an hour, then grab lunch and back to the office; home away from home… away from home. I do two days of weights, followed by some cardio. The goal is really just to try and stay in shape. I wouldn’t mind gaining some muscle, but the amount of time I devout to this activity is not likely to allow that to happen! I just do not want to be that guy who can’t see his toes beyond his gut.
I am into the third season of NCIS. Although I have seen a majority of them at one time or another, it is still fun to watch, especially in order (even though that isn’t required). It is interesting to see the progression of the characters, how they grew, how they were replaced.  I was surprised at the number of episodes I hadn’t seen before, though. I am almost done with Michael Crichton’s “Pirate Latitudes,” with about 20 pages to go. I plan on finishing it tonight. Working on Ridley Pearson’s “The Body of David Hayes;” about half-way through. I am also reading a book called “The Abbey” on my Kindle. Can’t remember the author’s name right now, but I am enjoying it. It is set in Indianapolis, which is pretty cool. According to the display, I am about 30% done with that one.
Well, that is all for now. Hopefully, my life will become more interesting, and therefore more scintillating for all of you.
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    I know the self-aggrandizement is frustrating and annoying, and I hate it too. But just be sure to NOT sell yourself short either. I found the easiest/best way to do this was to put NUMBERS down on my OER while I was deployed. It's the numbers that really catch the Board's eye when they're looking at an OER and since your job racks up lots of numbers, use them to your advantage! I can send you an example of mine from my deployment if you like. You know the email! In my prayers....

    CPT D

    ReplyDelete