Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 10 (Day 92)

Well, I am past the 90 day mark, or one could look at it as 25% through my deployment. Today is a great day...college football is over! I was so sick of seeing nothing but that non-sense for weeks on end while working at the USO. Usually I could ignore it and wander the internet on my computer, or perhaps read. However, this morning, the "big game" was on, so the volume was higher than usual, and I couldn't concentrate on anything else. It felt like sticking hot pokers in my head (or use any other simile you wish.) I wonder if I am the only male on this planet who is not addicted to that, or any other, sport?

I just got back to the office after going to the gym for a bit; worked my shoulders, forearms, triceps, and calves. I like to do circuit-like training, which allows me to spend less time in the gym, while still getting quite a few exercises in. I stayed for about an hour, feeling like a got something done, but not feeling worn out – I get enough of that at work! J I have found that going in the middle of the afternoon works well; there are a lot fewer people there, so I don’t have to wait for benches and the like. Essentially, going at this time allows me to spend less time away from the office. I work through lunch to make up for being absent at this time, so I still get a full day’s work in.
I plan on taking my “projects” Soldier to the supply facility here to set up a dialogue. I have several projects in mind (pallet staging area, cubby holes for unit sorting areas, and additional storage space in our supply container) which require lumber for the most part, in addition to the minor accouterments like screws. Now that our mail volume has returned to “normal,” it is a good time to get the ball rolling. Not only will it improve the facility, my Soldiers will be kept busy, and it will be a good growth experience; or as my dad would say, it builds character!
We have started to get food shipments back in. We almost had to go to MREs instead of hot meals. It got to the point where there were about three entrees to choose from, so it was like Groundhog Day when visiting the DFAC. Of course, this affected the sandwich shop as well. They did not have turkey for quite some time (or real cheese for that matter). The only “cheese” they had was American, which I am sure all you educated people out there know is not really cheese at all. I consider it maybe a half-step up from canned cheese product. The good news is turkey is back, as well as swiss and provolone cheeses. I again have a back-up if the DFAC is serving something less than desirable.
Updating a previous post: I finished my first book loaded onto my Kindle – The Abbey by Chris Culver. It was a rather enjoyable read. It is the author’s first book, but he mentioned at the end of this book to be on the lookout for a follow-up, so I will do so. I also completed reading Pirate Latitudes, and The Body of David Hayes. Both are by established authors, so there really wasn’t a question that they would be fun reads. I have now started 24: Declassified – Veto Power, and The Bourne Betrayal in physical format, and an early Star Wars series on my Kindle. I am also almost finished with season 3 of NCIS. There are two more seasons to go in my collection, which means I will more than likely be on the lookout to get seasons 7 and 8. My platoon sergeant gave me her entire series of 24, of which I have already (re)watched the first two seasons. There are 8 total I believe, so I will be set for a while. I also borrowed a series called Seven Days from my best friend back home. I think there are 4-5 seasons there.  
Not much to detail at work this time around, so until next time…

1 comment:

  1. No, you're not the only male on the planet who doesn't care for sports. Kevin doesn't either and I am so thankful. He doesn't ignore us for the sake of some game. Did you get our packages yet? You should receive three of them.

    ReplyDelete