Saturday, April 7, 2012

April 8 (Day 180)

Happy Easter! Let’s all remember the thought behind this day, and the promise it brings to all of us. Hope all of you have the opportunity to spend time with friends and family. Of course, it is a little strange to be talking about this holiday while I am here in Afghanistan.

Well, I have had a lot of work done on my house…well; actually my parents set it up. The shower in my master bath was remodeled. It has tile, the curb is pushed out for more floor space, new fixtures, and an alcove for toiletries. It was rather cramped before, and I look forward to seeing the difference. I also had the entire lawn replaced with new sod. Let me tell you, my lawn was atrocious! I didn’t have to go to the Grand Canyon to see large craters; I just had to step to my front yard. I had a sprinkler system put in last year, so regular watering and care should see a nice lawn when I get back (fingers crossed!).

I was forcibly evicted from my tent last weekend (as well as everyone else). I was working the USO last Sunday morning, like usual, when one of my Soldiers came in and told me about it. There was a note on our door saying we had to move out that day, no warning or explanation. Two other tents in our section were in the same predicament. “The powers” told me that the entire section was to be cleared out this week for a new unit coming in, except not all the tents in our section were told to move. They must live by another sense of physics, because I can’t fathom that.

My Captain’s Board convened last week, with another week or so until it adjourns. Sometime during this period, my record will be perused to see if I am qualified to stick around the Army and be promoted. I don’t know the timing beyond this period, when the results are release, or when the promotions start taking effect. It is quite nerve-wracking!

I am almost finished with the last season, #8, of “24.” One more disc (4 episodes) left. I can feel the letdown coming on! J As I have mentioned, it is one of my favorite shows. I will return to “NCIS” season 6 this week. This is the last season I own, even though there are more seasons out there. I am hoping to get the more current releases on sale soon. I do have “Seven Days” which I borrowed from my friend Robert.  It was on from 1998-2001, about an ex-CIA agent who works for a government agency capable of time travel. The goal was to correct “errors” which occurred the previous week; it is kind of an updated “Quantum Leap,” (another great show).


I received the last box of pre-purchased (those I bought before I deployed) books from my parent. I also picked up several more from Amazon. I now have “Dead Zero” by Stephen Hunter, “Born to Run” and “Last Call” by James Grippando, “Spartan Gold” by Clive Cussler, “24: Declassified, Chaos Theory” by John Whitman, “24: Declassified, Vanishing Point” by Merc Cerasini, “First Family” by David Baldacci, “Rough Country” by John Sandford, and “The Bourne Deception” and “The Bourne Objective” both by Eric Van Lustbader. I should be good for a while, don’t you think? LOL
Well, that is all for now. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment