Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 22 (Day 194)

I don’t know what has gotten into me; I can’t seem to keep track of my blog! Time is definitely getting away from me.

Things are moving along at work. Our new Company is fully entrenched now, and we are adjusting to their priorities. Per the norm, the way we did most of the things previously have been changed. Everyone wants to put their stamp on operations. Of course, from my perspective, if it isn’t broken… 

My Soldiers have started taking their R&R leave, so we are implementing our plans for “covering down” on those Soldier’s duties. One of mine from Shindand left this week, and another of mine from Farah returned to the theater and arrived here yesterday, trying to get back to Farah. Depending on flights, he may be stuck here for a couple of days.

My new Commander is planning to come for a visit today, but she may not make it out here; she ended up space A. She planned on doing my initial counseling in person, but it may now be done over the phone. The plan was also to bring some equipment so we could do video conferencing from here. The fact that we don’t have a place to put it does not seem to factor into the equation!

We managed to complete one of the several projects I have in mind at the APO. Our troublesome gate has been removed and replaced with a solid barrier topped with concertina wire.  The security of our yard is now assured. We are supposed to get a tent next weekend to use as cover for staging our sorted mail while it waits for transport. It is not the perfect solution, given the type of tent and its layout, but it will be better than what we have now which is nothing. My main concern with this tent is the entrance, which has just enough clearance for the forklift, and the drivers who aren’t the most situationally aware. They are likely to bring the whole thing down on the first day.

Weather has taken a turn the last week. It has been overcast and rainy, with a drop in temperature; it has been back in the 60s. Yesterday was supposedly the last day for a chance of rain. At least it was nowhere as cold as what is was like until recently. I am sure we will be going through the muggy aftermath pretty soon.

Personally, it has been a stressful couple of weeks. A lot of that comes from the change of leadership. We had a snafu with the mail movement right when they took over. The result was an impression that we needed to be “monitored” closely, that this incident was indicative of how things run here at Shindand. I kept them informed of all I was doing to rectify the situation, but after a heart to heart with the Battalion Commander, it seems no one heard what I was saying. The other part of the stress is that I have been going non-stop for quite some time, and I am a little worn down. I just need to hold on a little longer, until I get my R&R. Can’t wait to see the family.

I am making my way through my reading list. Finished a couple of Robert Ludlum’s books last week; I started Bill O’Reilly’s “Killing Lincoln” a couple of days ago. In addition, I have a new book on my Kindle, “The Eighth Scroll” by Dr. Laurence Brown that I began. From my previous entries, you are aware I have a lot of books in the queue as well, so my “free” time will actually be “occupied.” I am about half-way through season 6 of “NCIS”, and I am dragging it out. After the withdrawal I went through after “24”, I don’t feel the need to go through it again so soon!

Well, I guess that is enough for now. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment