Saturday, October 29, 2011

Days 9-16

This week was all about transitioning. First, of course, was lodging. I, my two male Soldiers, and a couple of civilian postal contractors live in one tent. It has been modified by using plywood and 2X4s to section off individual living areas. For that I am grateful. Normally, it would have been a wide open space. Having no privacy for a year would irritate me. :)  I also started working with the Lieutenant who had been running the post office for the last six months. She basically got it going from scratch this past spring. She was a classmate of mine from OCS, so we already had a working relationship, so the transition was quite a bit easier. There was a lot of paperwork to prepare; assigning my Soldiers their duties and responsibilities, general Army personnel processing paperwork and the like. It was all a bit mundane, but necessary to keep my bosses happy. I was keen on understanding what my role as the OIC would be, and the different duties I would take on. One would think it might be fairly easy - we just sort mail, right?  Well...not so much. I have to ensure that ground transportation assets are available on a routine schedule, and have back-up plans in case of a significant increase in mail flow or vehicle breakdowns etc..., or work with air assets for minor upticks. I had to start building relationships with my superiors in Kandahar, as well as other units here. There is something of a barter system at work here. We all need to help each other out to get things done. I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone or emailing putting out "fires." I am trying very hard to set my Soldiers up for success. I want them to have a good time here, learn something, and go home safe with a feeling of satisfaction. We support three other (smaller) FOBs (forward operating bases). Two of them have some of my Soldiers working there, so I have to maintain accountability of them, and make sure they have things they need. One of the FOBs does not have any sort of PX for goods/services, so I try to get things flown down to them when one of my other Soldiers here at Shindand head out to perform an audit. I am implementing some changes in the way the mail breakdown works here, with the goal of better efficiency, and less stress on the workers. I got the lay of the land, relative to where other units are located in case I have to physically go to them.  Only a couple are within walking distance. It's a fairly large compound here. The Afghans have a section, as well as the Italians. Actually went to the Italian side a few days ago. It is about a 8 minute drive. Went for pizza, but mine was not prepared as I asked, so I did not actually get to eat any. Maybe next time. They evidently have a really good DFAC (i.e. chowhall), where they have Italians cooking Italian food. They even have fresh bread from what I am told! They also have kabobs, which I am bound to try sooner or later. Of course, it was not all work. I volunteer at the USO, helping monitor the morale tent phones/computers use. It is nice. I get to use my own laptop and hardwire to the internet. Have been going from 7-9am during the week, and will probably put in some time on Sundays. The manager, Frank, is a real hoot as well! It is an enjoyable time. There was a dodgeball tournament last weekend. My platoon made a team, but unfortunately did not last long. I did not get to play since I still don't have my tennis shoes, but I cheered them on. I have been setting up my living quarters a little at a time to make it more "homey." It is nice being near my Soldiers as well. It gives us time to bond, knowing what makes them tick, their plans/dreams, any issues.  There are good relationships among the group, and work is enjoyable, though often hectic and physical. Well, I am now only a couple of days behind, but hope to be caught up shortly. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment