Sunday, October 30, 2011

Days 17-19

Well, I have finally taken full possession of the post office. My predecessor left early this morning for Kandahar on her way back to the states.  It is a lot more "quiet" and less crowded now that there are fewer people tripping over each other in our confined spaces. Dealt a lot with my company supervisors back in Kandahar.  They felt some of the reports my Soldiers were sending up were seriously incomplete/wrong.  After much debate and time on the phone, it turned out there were a couple of minor snags, easily corrected. It did not help that the ones we talked to were not the subject matter experts, so there were a lot of redos. I got a call Friday (day 18) that all looked great on the reports, so we should not have any more issues (keeping fingers crossed!). I continue to cultivate a working relationship with my site manager, the individual in charge of the civilians working with us. His replacement is due in the next week or so, as is one for another of the civilians the beginning of December. That means I have to get all the changes I want to implement fully in place so transitions will be smooth. My platoon continues to thrive on learning and working, which is a definite positive. Even with some of the grief they get from our highers, they take it in stride and adjust fire. The weather continues to be nice - 80s during the day and upper 50s-60s at night. Of course, that is not going to last. I am dreading the coming winter. Had some visitors from Kuwait, two LTs and one MSG. They work in the contractor officer representative office; their job is to monitor the postal contracts between the military and  contractors. They wanted to check in with me, since I am the de facto appointee for COR here at Shindand, and see if I had any questions and such. I am not really keen on the additional duty, but there it is.  Once I am done with the training and certified, it will be my responsibility to ensure the contractors are upholding their side of the contract, and to perform audits and such. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment