Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 20

Only two days behind on catching up with my blog. Whew! Today was my day off. Went to the office this morning to complete some of my contracting officer representative courses. There are five on-line courses I have to complete overall. I have finished three of them. Then I have to go to Kandahar to take a two-hour in-person class. The course I am working on right now is worth 32 hours of credit. While I was working on the computer, a couple of my Soldiers were working on a building project in the back of the post office. There was an incomplete section of overhead roofing around the containers in which we store incoming mail. PFC Miller, one of my outstanding troops, put up 2X4 supports and plywood. This project will go a long way to protect the mail (and personnel) from inclement weather. At noon, a volleyball tournament was held. My platoon made a team, and put up a valiant effort. It was of the double-elimination variety, and our "Renegades" did not make it too far. :(  This evening, the two male Soldiers and myself went to the Italian compound at Shindand for dinner. It takes several minutes to get there, since the speed limit is about 20mph. We headed out about 1700. Our intent was to go to the DFAC, but we found out when we arrived that they did not open until 1900! We were not about to wait, so we went for pizza instead. There are two pizza joints, and the one we went to was really great! Of course, I just had cheese (as did the other two). I ate the whole thing, unlike my comrades who just could not keep up! LOL Overall, it was a good day. Got some work done, and still able to take time to relax. Speaking of relaxing, I started a new book, the first in a new series featuring Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne. So far, so good. Also spent a little time on my Nintendo DS playing Star Wars III Lego. What a hoot of a game!  Oh year, last night we had our first rocket attack! It happened while I was in the shower, so did not hear the sirens, which are not all that loud (unlike Kandahar). I ended up walking around like nothing had happened. I should have been in one of the shelters, but no one bothered to correct me! Keep in mind, it was night and very dark, so it was not obvious that people were gathered around the shelters.  I was totally oblivious! On that note, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment