Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4 (Day 267)

It was about a 5 ½ hour flight to Frankfurt. I didn't sleep very well, but I think I got some catnap time in. After landing, I accompanied a new acquaintance of mine (more on that later) through customs, where I presented my ID card and leave form. I did not have to use my passport, which caused me some disappointment, as it is a brand new one, and I didn't get a stamp. Guess I'll have to wait until I visit as a civilian. After customs, I picked up my checked bag, and my travel companion and I went to the car rental area, as she had one reserved.
We left the car in its parking spot while we went to the Sheraton. We each got a room, which were used for only a few hours so we could get some needed Zs and to clean up. I spent 149 euro (about $220) for that meager time. That was the most expensive shower and catnap of all time! It was necessary however for both our safety as we prepared to hit the road toward Landstuhl.

To backtrack a bit. There were several people heading overseas on their R&R. Individuals were grouped depending on the departure airline from Kuwait. There were four of us leaving out of one area, two to each airline. Since we had over 4 hours of wait time until departure, we all went to grab some dinner. We ate at a pizza place, and spent time talking a bit. It was then I discovered a SSG was also heading to Frankfurt. It turns out she has been in Germany for 13 years, so knew the area well. We hung out together until the 3 hour mark until departure where we could check our baggage. This was an interesting experience.

We had to wait in something of a line (if you didn't immediately move in concert with the person in front of you, those behind you would cut the line) as the usual. When I got to the counter, I still had to contend with other idiots (where they came from I don't know) who showed up at the counter trying to bypass the established “process.” I was taken aback by the sheer lunacy of these acts. Bottom line – it was a madhouse.

An interesting thing I did was shrinkwrap my checked bag. There was an actual machine that spun a bag, wrapping it in plastic. My bag had a lot of straps and whatnot, so this made perfect sense, plus it protected it from tears etc... That was neat.

Unlike American airports, where after you check your bags, you are relegated to a small “secure” area with few shops etc..., after checking bags in Kuwait, you go back to the main area from whence you just came. For your reference, the Kuwait airport is more akin to a mall, so there was plenty to keep us occupied during our wait. We people-watched with the relevant irreverent comments. :) We were given a briefing upon arrival about not smoking in the airport, and the $200 fine. We soon discovered that “we” were not allowed to do so, but the locals did not seem to have to abide by this rule. Not that everyone lit up, but a few did.

I noticed Starbucks followed their usual MO with multiple locations within eyesight of a central location. There was one on the lower floor, and one on the upper, each on opposite sides of the narrow portion of the concourse (it was about 50 yards). Heaven forbid you had to ride the escalator to another floor to get to your coffee! I stood on the upper floor at one short end, and could easily see both entrances. It was ridiculous.

There was a Baskin Robbins at the airport, and I availed myself of some Peanut Butter Chocolate ice cream. Boy was that delicious!

Well, it is 2200 local. Time for bed. More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment