Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3 (Day 266)

Well, it has been quite a while since my last post. To be honest, it has been rather dull at work, so I decided not to bore anyone. However, I am now on R&R, so things are picking up. Perhaps I should start from the beginning.

I flew out of Shindand on the 27th of June. I was up as usual at 0600, and finalized my packing. I had an early afternoon showtime at the passenger terminal, getting into Kandahar around 1700. I was able to get a ride to my lodging quarters (I boarded with one of my Soldiers), and got a bite to eat at the dining facility. They have a better/larger setup than Shindand, so it was something of a treat. After I cleaned up, I went to bed for I knew the next day would be long.

I got up at 0700, repacked what I had used, got some breakfast, and made a briefing at the passenger terminal. This was the first step in trying to get a flight out that day (the 28th). After the brief, I had to schedule another brief with the security folks at my Battalion (BN)since I was going outside the US for leave. I managed to get this done right before lunch. The other three items on my agenda were to turn in my weapon, get my leave form signed, and to do a meet and greet with the BN Commander. I managed to accomplish all three by 1800. All the interim time was spent at my Company HQ being bored. The only thing left to do now was show up around 2000 to see if I was going to make a flight that night. Fortunately, I did, and to make things short, I took off very late at night, getting to Kuwait after several hours flight.

After landing, I had to endure several briefings, get my checked bag, and get a billet. It was now the 29th, about 0730; I was very tired by this point, as I had been awake for about 24 hours. I did manage to take a shower and get a couple hours sleep. I had to check back with the travel folks at noon to see about my itinerary. I found out I was flying out that night, so I was excited. I had to go back to the travel folks after a few hours, and from that point, my time was once again not my own. I essentially was on «lock down» for 8 hours before my flight was to take off!

This time was taken up by a few more briefs, customs inspection, and an hour busride to the Kuwait airport. Even after arriving at the airport, I had over 4 hours before my flight. Remember, I again had been up for quite a few hours without sleep. At takeoff, I was going on almost 40 hours wake time on 3 hours sleep. I still had my overnight flight ahead of me, and not much chance of getting much good rest.

Turn in tomorrow for the continuing adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment