Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February 2 (Day 115)

Well, this has been the biggest break yet between posts – 10 days. I honestly don’t know where the time went. I have been so focused on big changes coming to Shindand, I have not really thought about my blog. I actually meant to write yesterday, but Skype showed my sister online, and we chatted for quite a bit. I had not spoken with her for a while, so I am sure you all will forgive me the extra day’s delay!

Evidently, we are getting a big influx of personnel here from other locations. Of course, that will have a drastic impact on our operations here. We currently do not have enough space in our container system to securely house the amount of extra mail we are expecting. I have a solution in the works. I have an extra container, but I need to get it set in our yard. It is sitting outside of our yard and sits on a flat rack. Basically, the container is “latched” to the flat rack, allowing it to be loaded onto a transport truck. The operation is similar to that of a tow truck. Keep in mind, these containers are 20’ long and weigh a couple of tons.  Anyway, I need to actually drop the container on the ground, and return the flat rack to its owner, another company. The attachments are a set of pins and latches, surprisingly simple considering the size of the equipment. (I should get a picture)

There have been rumors of FOB closings, which also drastically impact my operations. If true, it may entail bringing some of my troops to Shindand. It is interesting how this information flow is coming from the bottom up. That is how we heard of the influx of personnel. It did not come from higher headquarters. Rather, we first heard of it from a group coming through from Camp Lejeune. They heard about it during their pre-deployment briefings before ever leaving the States! What! Of course, I sent the information up my chain of command to see if we could find out if it was true. Then, I happened to talk to a civilian at one of the FOBs I mentioned a minute ago, and he was hearing the same thing. Double what! I tell you, the information flow is running upstream, rather than down. Something is definitely broken here.

Have been checking out a few of the “leaked” Superbowl commercials, and some are quite good. Even if I were able to watch the game, AFN won’t play the commercials. Instead, they will play military news updates and the like. The only way to see them is online. There is one of a bunch of dogs barking Darth Vader’s “theme song.” It was hilarious, especially the ending. Check it out if you can. Saw a Ferris Bueller take for the Honda CRV yesterday. It really doesn’t do much for the car, but if you remember the movie (and liked it), you’ll probably get a kick out of it too. There’s one with Jerry Seinfeld trying to be the first in line to get some new car (it’s three years from production), and tries to bribe the person who actually is first in line. It was okay overall, and the end was a chuckler.













Well, in order for this blog to keep from getting too long, I will finish it up by this weekend. I promise! :) Added some pics this time around, some current, some not (found them on my camera's flashdrive)

No comments:

Post a Comment