Friday, September 28, 2012

September 28 (Day 353)

Well, another big break between posts. My platoon’s replacements arrived in Shindand this past Monday, and we got right to work. We spent Monday through Thursday training the new platoon on their duties and responsibilities, gave them an overview of operations, and did a little tour of the base along with introducing them to points of contact. It has definitely been busy the last few days.
I also started packing my things and shipping boxes home. I sent several boxes home a couple of weeks ago; now that we were getting closer to redeploying, I sent the rest of my goodies, some last Sunday and the rest yesterday (ended up spending over $300 total!). I am now down to what I will be taking with me. I am still stuck with my ruck sack and assault pack (a small backpack). I am using the ruck to carry my computer back to Kandahar, and will then need to use it to house my IOTV (improved outer tactical vest), since we won’t be wearing it on the civilian aircraft we will use to get back to the states.
I am currently in the state of trying to figure out what to do with my time. I am no longer “employed” since the new platoon has taken over the post office, and our showtime for our flight is not for another 9+ hours. With all my “stuff” mailed off, it is difficult to find things to do. I do have my computer with some movies on it, but I am saving those for my actual travels. I will be on the road for a little over a week. Other than the actual flying portions, I have a feeling time is going to go slow. I just need to keep my eyes on the goal of getting home.
Speaking of home, I don’t have one to go back to yet. I need to figure out some temporary living arrangement, likely a hotel (my renters have not yet found a place to which to move). I am not looking forward to that; I just want to get back and get the moving-in out of the way, rather than having to put it off. I will have to get my car out of storage. I hope it at least starts up so I can take it to the shop for a tune-up. My motorcycle is also “stored” but at a bike shop, so it will be usable right away; depending on the weather, I might be able to use it. I also do not know how work is going to fit in. Will we get a couple of days to recuperate, or go straight into reintegration training? We’ll see I guess. There are just a lot of unknowns at this point, that I am a bit apprehensive.
Well, not much else for now. Since I don’t have access to vacation pictures, I will put off those discussions until I am back in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment